- Every year there are an estimated 20 million Hepatitis E infections, over 3 million acute cases of Hepatitis E, and 56 600 Hepatitis E-related deaths.
- Hepatitis E is usually self-limiting but may develop into fulminant Hepatitis (acute liver failure).
- The Hepatitis E virus is transmitted via the faecal-oral route, principally via contaminated water.
- Hepatitis E is found worldwide, but the prevalence is highest in East and South Asia.
- China has produced and licensed the first vaccine (Hecolin?) to prevent Hepatitis E virus infection.